Hypothetical are an extremely misleading and deceptive tactic.
The purposes of most hypothetical, such as "what would you do in a hurricane" is most often to promote some alternative form of morality that has limited or no applicability to the real world.
Here's the basic structure:
- Design an alternative reality.
- Design that alternate reality as to maximize one factor of human interaction, while minimizing another.
- Use those distorted incentives to demonstrate an apparent "exception."
- Use that exception to demonize one ethic and promote another within the hypothetical world
- Use that exception to demonize one ethic and promote another within the real world
This is otherwise known as "bait and switch."
on iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PC. It's free.